One Possible Future of Religious Belief

Most Current Theists may become Deists in order to save their faith from the hands of Sycophants & Money-Makers

 

What got me started on this subject was reading this article:

 

“Neural Buddhism” as religion’s future

 

http://www.worldontheweb.com/2008/05/14/neural-buddhism-as-religions-future/

 

Here is a quick Wikipedia definition of Deism

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

 

Deism is the belief that there is a God that created the physical universe but does not interfere with it. It is related to a religious philosophy and movement that derives the existence and nature of God from reason. (The mention of God in this article is meant more as a Creator than as the Abrahamic God.) It takes no position on what God may do outside the universe. That is in contrast to fideism which is found in many forms of Christianity.[1] Islamic and Judaic teachings hold that religion relies on revelation in sacred scriptures or the testimony of other people as well as reasoning. They often use the analogy of God as clockmaker.

 

Any famous Deists?

 

Most if of the framers of the Constitution of the United States were deists including:

 

Thomas Jefferson

James Madison

Ben Franklin

John Adams

Alexander Hamilton

Thomas Paine

 

Of course there is the controversy over this by our friends of the Religious Right…

(Ever notice that besides being really good at War { http://jwismer922.tripod.com/Christocrats_and_WAR.htm} that Religious Fanatics are really good at promoting controversy)

 

Currently (as of 2008) there is an ongoing controversy in the United States over whether or not the country was founded as a "Christian nation" based on Judeo-Christian ideals. This has spawned a subsidiary controversy over whether the Founding Fathers were Christians or deists or something in between.[33] [34] Particularly heated is the debate over the beliefs of Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and George Washington, for some of whom the evidence is mixed.[35] [36] However, Benjamin Franklin wrote in his autobiography, "Some books against Deism fell into my hands; they were said to be the substance of sermons preached at Boyle's lectures. It happened that they wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the arguments of the Deists, which were quoted to be refuted, appeared to me much stronger than the refutations; in short, I soon became a thorough Deist. My arguments perverted some others, particularly Collins and Ralph; but each of them having afterwards wrong'd me greatly without the least compunction, and recollecting Keith's conduct towards me (who was another freethinker) and my own towards Vernon and Miss Read, which at times gave me great trouble, I began to suspect that this doctrine, tho' it might be true, was not very useful."[37] [38] In a letter written towards the end of his life, Franklin expressed interest in Christianity, though he stated that prior to this he had been uninterested in religion

 

I’m pretty sure that if the Media/Americans/Politicians continue to let the Religious Fundamentalists (the 2% that have all the money, power & influence anyway) have it their own way, that eventually the back lash from the rest of society 98% will be like a huge tidal wave, and Deism will be a popular and safe harbor.  I’ve always said the best way a Religious Moderate/Progressive can instill change is to start boycotting church/synagogue/temple.  But alas our friends over on the mythical Religious Left continue to think that they can talk sense into the minds of the irrational religious sycophants. 

 

Evidence points to that being a totally lost cause:

 

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121029464937179517.html

 

Pastors May Defy IRS Gag Rule

 

Anyway, what can you do, but continue to wait for the other shoe to drop…and it will if things continue in this direction.

 

It’s worth putting up these quotes again:

 

Quoting the late Saul Alinsky, who was renowned for his community organizing skills, Rudin noted that it only takes 2% of society to make change if it is a well-organized, fully committed cadre. "The other 98% is pretty inert."

 

According to Benjamin Franklin, if a particular faith needed the help of the government to preserve it, "it is a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one."

 

So has my friend John always says the struggle continues…and one can only hope that education makes a comeback in a BIG way in this country or we are all doomed.  And once education comes back to an acceptable level, and then we can move on safely and peacefully as a human race.

 

Deism today

Contemporary deism attempts to integrate classical deism with modern philosophy and the current state of scientific knowledge. This attempt has produced a wide variety of personal beliefs under the broad classification/category of belief of "deism". The Modern Deism web site includes one list of the unofficial tenets of modern deism.

Classical deism held that a human's relationship with God was impersonal: God created the world and set it in motion but does not actively intervene in individual human affairs but rather through Divine Providence. What this means is that God will give humanity such things as reason and compassion but this applies to all and not individual intervention.

Some modern deists have modified this classical view and believe that humanity's relationship with God is transpersonal which means that God transcends the personal/impersonal duality and moves beyond such human terms. Also, this means that it makes no sense to state that God intervenes or does not intervene as that is a human characteristic which God does not contain. Modern deists believe that they must continue what the classial deists started and continue to use modern human knowledge to come to understand God which in turn is why a human-like God that can lead to numerous contradictions and inconsistencies is no longer believed in and has been replaced with a much more abstract conception.

A modern definition has been created and provided by World Union of Deists (WUD) that provides a modern understanding of deism:

"Deism is the recognition of a universal creative force greater than that demonstrated by mankind, supported by personal observation of laws and designs in nature and the universe, perpetuated and validated by the innate ability of human reason coupled with the rejection of claims made by individuals and organized religions of having received special divine revelation."

Because deism asserts God without accepting claims of divine revelation, it appeals to people from both ends of the religious spectrum. Antony Flew, for example, is a convert from atheism, and Raymond Fontaine was a Roman Catholic priest for over 20 years.

The 2001 American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) survey, which involved 50,000 participants, reported that the number of participants in the survey identifying themselves as deists grew at the rate of 717 percent between 1990 and 2001. If this were generalized to the US population as a whole, it would make deism the fastest-growing religious classification in the US for that period, with the reported total of 49,000 self-identified adherents representing about 0.02% of the US population at the time. [39] [40]